Google Analytics 4 (GA4) allows us to have a complete view of how users behave on our website or app: How many people entered, where they come from, what pages they see, how long they stay, are just some of the variables that are analyzed. . Yes, that complete.
But perhaps what causes the most stir is the deadline it comes with; We have time until July 1, 2023 to migrate our current data, and implement this tool. Its predecessor, Universal Analytics (UA), has an expiration date and will stop collecting information by that date.
And yes, it is complex for everyone, but… Who wasn’t a little afraid of the unknown at first? Let’s get to the positive!
The tool itself uses an event-based approach to user tracking, meaning we can track specific events; from how to make a purchase, when they register on the website or if they watch a video. With this information we can analyze where to direct our actions and improvements. Additionally, it has a more advanced data architecture than UA, allowing for better integration with other digital marketing tools such as Google Ads and Google Tag Manager. This reveals how the advancement of marketing directly impacts our business.
What to do then? We share here 8 points to start implementing without risks:
- Create a new GA4 property.
- Install the code on the site as soon as possible so it can start measuring!
- Link the previous property (Google Universal Analytics) to this property.
- Enable data import from (GUA).
- Map the data you are going to measure.
- Test that the data you measure are correct and consistent.
- Set up conversion tracking: looking for specific actions will be crucial to obtain information and identify where you can improve. Mark them correctly and measure them in GA4.
- Use exploration reports: take advantage of them to analyze each piece of data within the large number of metrics and thus understand user behavior.
It is essential if you have a website or app that is advancing with the implementation of GA4. We hope you can do it with these steps. At Digital JUMP we are already implementing the tool for our partners, if you need help, do not hesitate to contact us.
Successes and measure!